Tuesday, January 10, 2012

#50BookPledge Book 2 Madame Tussaud


Review of Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran from Broadway Paperbacks 2011

This is very extensive history of one famous woman's life during the extremely turbulent French Revolution. I found the time line of the French Revolution and list of key characters at the start of the novel helpful as I moved through the book. The additional information at the end of the novel starting with After the Revolution clarified lingering questions and brought the book full circle.

My initial thoughts was that there were way to many small chapters, however, upon reading the novel I found that these divisions corresponded to the major events of the Revolution. As I read the book I found these smaller chapters allowed for more detail making it easier to understand what was happening.

Ms Moran does a wonderful job of creating tension early. She explores what it is like to have to live your life in both camps in order to ensure that you don't insult anyone or lose your station. Marie and her family negotiate the political atmosphere exceptionally well without forsaking their principals.

I don't know much about the French Revolution so this was a nice introduction to an important historical event. Ms. Moran did a great deal of research and provided lots of information to help the reader learn while still enjoying the book. As I was reading I found lots of similarities between the French Revolution and both the America War of Independence and the Civil War where families were divided depending on loyalties.

The use of a female lead character as well as several of the supporting characters being female made for an interesting perspective on the situation. I was disappointed that the focus was on the events in Paris and not what happened outside of the capital.

Overall this was a good book and I am looking forward to reading more of Michelle Moran's books.


No comments:

Post a Comment