Thursday, January 26, 2012

#50BookPledge Book 6 The Darlings

The Darlings by Cristina Alger from Penguin Books 2012

This review almost wrote itself and didn't feel like I was forcing it.  I received an ARC of The Darlings from Penguin Canada and have been looking for an opportunity to read it for the last little while.

When you hear a title like The Darlings and see the cover of this novel you expect it to be set during the late 19th and early 20th century during the Gilded age in the United States.  I was pleasantly surprised that this was not the case.  The Darlings is a refreshing contemporary novel with the backdrop being the on-going financial turmoil on Wall Street that started in 2007.

This is a novel I had trouble putting down and was captivated by the storyline.  It is a story of intrigue and suspense with lots of unexpected turns.  The characters have a depth that is equal to their role and the interconnecting relationships add to the complexity of the story.  I am passing the book my husband to read, something I rarely do.

Overall the book was a good read but I found the epilogue out of place and would have preferred it not be there.


No comments:

Post a Comment