Thursday, January 12, 2012

#50BookPledge Book 3 The Virgin Cure

Yesterday morning I received a copy of The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay from a friend of mine.  It was the book of the month for the Yummy Mummy Book Club and I was eager to start reading it so I could actively participate in the discussion. Anyhow in just over 24 hours I have complete book!

I generally enjoy historical fiction because I usually learn something I didn't know before or am able to relate to other books I've read and The Virgin Cure didn't fail me.  From the very beginning of the novel Ms. McKay presents a detailed description of the slum conditions in New York City during the late 19th century.  With her attention to these details she is able to better draw the reader into the story making you feel as though if not part of the action at least an observer with a front row seat. 

In addition to the lead character of Moth, who you can't help but feel how badly she wants to be loved, the secondary characters are well developed making the story that much more authentic.  Ms. McKay keeps the reader engaged throughout the story with twist and turns that are meant to move the story forward. 

The Virgin Cure is well written complete with side bars that add information about the time period to the reader.  Unfortunately, the myth of The Virgin Cure still persist today only instead of curing syphilis it is thought to cure HIV AIDS.  Furthermore the idea of children being forced to become adults before their time is something you can find in different parts of the country/world today.

A definite read for anyone interested in historical fiction written by a Canadian author.

No comments:

Post a Comment